With a population of 4659, according to the 2010 census, Chesaning Township took its name from the Indian spelling Chi-asin, which means ‘Place of the Big Rock.’ While the county of Saginaw was organized in 1835, it wasn’t until about 1847 the area of Big Rock was set off as a township and when organized, it was given the name of Northampton, from the old New Hampshirehome of some of the leading citizens in those days. It was congressional district 9 north, ranges 1, 2, 3 and 4 east. In 1853 the township name was changed to Chesaning, after its original Indian name. In 1856 the county board of supervisors set off ranges 1 and 2 and called it Brady Township; and in 1857 they set off range 4 as Maple Grove Township. This left range 3 as Chesaning Township, which to this date encompasses about thirty-six square miles.